There’s trouble brewing in Austin. The “Kings of Texas” are coming for your liberty and your wallets! (Updated)
Calling all grassroots conservatives in Texas!
Sound the alarm!
Last night there was a Statewide Conference Call with JoAnn Fleming (Director Grassroots America & TEA Party Caucus Advisory Committee Chair) and Terri Hall (TURF Director & Founder – Texas United for Reform & Freedom)
So Did you make it on the call last night?
Check out this new App~ Visit www.openthebooks.com: all United States Government spending.
See and track the progress of any bill at the Texas Legislature Online
TURF’s Legislative Agenda for the 2013 83rd Texas Legislature.
Fact Sheet on Why It’s Anti-Taxpayer to Privatize our Public Roads (using CDAs/PPPs).
What do we want? Pro-taxpayer Transportation Policy
Abuses of Tolling
OUTRAGEOUS Facts Sheet
Pay-as-you-go funding of road construction can be done with a comprehensive transportation package, which should include:
- State government restructuring to eliminate overlapping, duplicated effort;phase-out of funding for budget items beyond the core constitutional responsibilities of state government;
- TxDOT operational reforms & increased transparency;
- Reigning in flagrant waste (documented) via “local control” RMAs, MPOs and COGs spending millions on “enhancements”;
- Refocus on building highways to relieve traffic congestion – not funding light rail, street cars, biking/hiking trails, parks and roads for economic development (the “build it and they will come” scenario);
- Ending diversions;
- Dedicating vehicle sales and use tax revenue to highway construction (the Nichols Plan – SB 287);
- Early debt retirement, if approved by the people (the Eltife Plan – Constitutional Amendment via SJR 47)
Reforms Required as part of the package:
- Return to pay-as-you-go; no more public road debt (state or local).
- Make all toll viability studies OPEN to the public (currently kept SECRET) – (HB 2870 – Capriglione)
- No more Public Private Partnerships (P3s), handing control of our Texas infrastructure to private, even foreign, corporations. This applies to roads and other public facilities such as the Capitol Complex. No more use of eminent domain for private gain.
- No more public subsidies, credit enhancements, or loan guarantees for any type of toll project.
- Comprehensive financial audit of TxDOT prior to the agency’s next sunset review in 2015 to gain efficiencies and end practices that drive-up costs, e. g., Design-Build CDAs, P3s, and multi-million dollar “enhancements” that have nothing to do with moving traffic.
- End diversions of all road user fees (motor fuel tax, vehicle sales tax, tire sales, auto parts sales tax) to non-transportation uses.
- Phase-in motor vehicle sales/use tax revenues to the Highway Fund, consistent with Nichols’ SB 287.
Constitutional restrictions on the use of New Revenues
- No diversions: May only be used for planning, design, construction of new state highway system road capacity and the maintenance of this new capacity once built.
- Not Used for Toll Roads: May not be used on comprehensive development agreements or projects involving the construction of toll lanes.
- No Debt: Shall be used for pay-as-you go projects and may not be used as backing for new debt financing (whether at the state or local level).
- No non-road expenditures: None of these funds may be used for any expense related to bike trails, transit or pedestrian walkways.
The Problem: Anti-liberty Legislation is ALIVE and WELL in Austin! Establishment Republicans who do not share our values have plans for you:
- Plans to mushroom state debt with 100 YEAR BONDS.
- Plans to push debt down to the local level, opening the door for MORE PROPERTY TAX INCREASES.
- Plans to hand out more taxpayer dollars to well-connected special interests via CORPORATE WELFARE.
- Plans to SABOTAGE THE TERM LIMITS BILLS in the House and Senate.
- Plans to build ALL future state highways as CORPORATE TOLL ROADS and sell them off to foreign multinationals (the TransTexas Corridor plan blown up all across the state).
- Plans to use eminent domain power for PRIVATE GAIN via transportation policy.
- Plans to continue the ACCOUNTING GIMMICKS and SMOKE AND MIRRORS to “balance” the state budget on paper while running up more debt.
- Plans to expand Medicaid in the quest for ObamaCare dollars–bankrupting our state in the process.
Watch out for liberal and moderate legislators signing up to support Second Amendment and pro-life legislation while stealing your liberty and your children’s future! Don’t be fooled! We must look at THE ENTIRE RECORD — not just the easy votes. It’s easy to support the 2nd Amendment and be pro-life in Texas…even liberal Republicans can, but they hide a multitude of other sins under those two important issues, hoping you won’t look at the rest of their record! Don’t let them get away with it!
This is the first of a series of regular calls planned to keep grassroots Texans informed during the session.
Knowledge is Power and together we can make the difference!!