Texas Needs and Deserves a New Speaker of the House
By Bob Hall
This is the fourth in a series of articles on why Texas needs a new Speaker of the House in the state legislature. Your Rep is counting on you not taking the time to understand why Joe Straus must not be re-elected Speaker, not paying attention to the facts and not remembering how they vote when it is time for their re-election. Let’s prove them wrong on all three counts.
It will take Republican state Reps with integrity, courage and a commitment to “service before self” to stand firmly on principle and replace Joe Straus.
Questions to ponder:
Did you vote for your Rep because he/she campaigned as a Texas conservative?
Do you know that the single most important vote your Rep will make while serving in the 83rd Texas legislative session is the one he/she will cast for Speaker of the House? (This will be the first vote they cast on 8 January when the session begins)
Did you know that only one of the two candidates for Speaker is has a true conservative record and he is David Simpson?
Did you know that at the Texas State Republican Convention conservative Republicans expressed theirlack of confidence in and disgust with the moderate/liberal Joe Straus in several ways? Here are just three of them:
- Just like with David Dewhurst, every time the name “Joe Straus” was mentioned during the Texas State convention the attendees booed his name loudly.
- Because of the concern that most Reps count on their constituents being ignorant of their misdeed on important votes, (like the Speaker selection) the convention delegates included a resolution in the Texas platform calling on all Reps to hold town-hall meetings to discuss the their vote for House Speaker with their constituents before the 83rd session begins.
- Joe Straus chose to withdraw his name from the “special guests” list rather than face the humiliation David Dewhurst received when the at-large-delegate committee refused to make him a delegate to the National Republican Convention.
The list of actual anti-conservative actions of Joe Straus is well documented and true conservative throughout the state do not even want him in the Texas House, much less to be the Speaker.
So the big question is, how is your state Rep going to vote in the Speaker’s race on 8 Jan 13? Are they Texas Bold or Texas Weak?
If your Rep has said any of the following statements, it is good indication that he/she has “drank the Straus kool-aid” , is willingly sitting at the foot of the Straus throne and will vote for him instead of the true conservative David Simpson:
- “The 82nd (2011) legislative session was the (or one of the) most conservative sessions ever (sometimes they will include: because of Joe Straus).” This is a misrepresentation of the truth. Most of the conservative legislation was killed by the Straus controlled committee chairs.
- “We balanced the budget without raising taxes”. Not an accurate claim. They called it balanced because they got to define balanced. They used smoke and mirrors.
- “Joe Straus has been a Republican all his life”. So what. Wearing a Republican label does make make him a conservative. His documented performance has been anything but conservative.
- “Joe Straus is pro-life.” Just not a true statement. NARAL, the rabid pro-abortion at any time for any reason group gave Straus a legislative rating of 100%; Deep family ties and support to Planned Parenthood, including large contributions by family members and his wife serving on the Board of Directors of PP of San Antonio; He received commendation from Planned Parenthood of San Antonio after the disastrous 2009 session, citing his “tireless efforts” on their behalf.
- “David Simpson is a nice guy and I like him but he does not have the experience to be Speaker.”Again, so what. Conservatives have had enough of the Joe Straus brand of conservatism. And, they hope you don’t remember that Joe Straus was elected speaker after only one term in the House.
- “Joe Straus is responsible for the strong Tea Party victories in the last election.” This is so false that it is laughable.
- “The Speaker is not all that important. He doesn’t really control anything. The Speaker is just a figure-head to open and close meetings.” Any Rep saying this one is showing his/her contempt for your intelligence.
So, what can you do to help stop the tragedy of Joe Straus being re-elected Speaker of the Texas House?
1. Call your State Representative’s offices today and demand they comply with the State Republican Resolution and hold a town hall meeting to discuss this very important vote. If you do not their phone numbers, you can find it with this link:
2. Plan to attend the Speaker’s Showdown in Austin, Tx on 7 & 8 January. For more information see the following link:
MAKE THAT CALL TODAY AND HELP MAKE A DIFFERENCE. WE MAY HAVE GIVEN OVER OUR COUNTRY TO OBAMA, BUT WE DO NOT HAVE TO GIVE TEXAS TO HIS SURROGATE, JOE STRAUS.
(Power, Money and/or Special Favors)
A REAL CONSERVATIVE WITH INTEGRITY COULD NOT, WOULD NOT, VOTE FOR JOE STRAUS EVEN IF JOE WAS THE ONLY ONE IN THE RACE.
Knowledge is Power and together we can make the difference!!
Seek the Truth~
Share The Truth~
Stand for the Truth~
Protect Our Nation for Future Generations