Voices Empower

Huckabee just doesn’t get it~ #StopCommonCore Twitter Bomb

Date posted: June 20, 2013

Citizens United for Responsible Education

The CURE (Citizens United for Responsible Education) is on a mission to educate Governor Mike Huckabee and we need your help.

Huckabee twitter bomb

We have seen over and over again that former Governor Mike Huckabee has been championing the Common Core Standards, see below.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2013/06/11/common-core-standards-editorials-debates/2413555/

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jun/5/huckabee-urges-states-back-common-core/

We are going to do a project to get Mike Huckabee educated on what hundreds of thousands of parents, teachers and administrators think about Common Core. Huckabee has a national voice and is misleading parents and his circle of influence on this issue. We must stop him in his tracks by alerting him to how much this issue means to you.

We are going to use the “Twitter Bomb” tool  to make sure he gets the message of how YOU feel about this, not his crony political buddies like Jeb Bush. Please send to all of your contacts and please post on all of your Facebook pages.

Starting at 8 am pdt/ 11am edt/ 10am CST  June 20, 2013 and we are doing it for 72 hours leading up to his show on Saturday June 22, 2013, we are asking you to Tweet and put on Mike Huckabee’s  Facebook pages facts about Common Core .

We will be using three hashtags for this project, #educateHuckabee#stopcommoncore#CURENat

Below you will find all of the social media sources for Mike Huckabee:

Mike Huckabee For America(Facebook page): https://www.facebook.com/HuckabeeforAmerica?fref=ts

Mike Huckabee (Facebook page) –Politician: https://www.facebook.com/mikehuckabee?fref=ts

Huckabee Twitter Accounts: Find him on Twitter and Follow him so you can send him Tweets.

@GovMikeHuckabee

 @huckabeenews

 So for those new to Twitter here is an example of the kinds of Tweets we can do:

 @GovMikeHuckabee Common Core gets rid of parental rights #educateHuckabee#stopcommoncore,#CURENat

@huckabeenews  http://catholicexchange.com/two-moms-vs-common-core/ #educate Huckabee#stopcommoncore#CURENat

Is Common Core in Texas? You Bet it is.

 Stop Common Core Presser

Knowledge is Power and together we can make the difference!!

Alice Linahan

Follow @AliceLinahan on twitter and Facebook

Voices Empower has partnered the Freedom Trailer Teams to Educate, Inspire and Motivate.

Women On The Wall.org

Voices Empower

Check Out Voices Empower Articles .

  Please attribute to Alice Linahan  with Voices Empower

Stop CSCOPE

Ask the question…..Education- who is taking control over our children using our tax dollars?

Knowledge is Power~ Click and share with your friends!
Knowledge is Power~ Click and share with your friends!

What is Common Core and What it is not ~ States Across America are beginning to ask the questions….

Date posted: June 15, 2013

What is Common Core  and What it is not ~

Common Core is a complete transformation of Education in the United States led by the federal Department of Education and the corporate education business machine. Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, financed the Common Core. Two private entities, the National Governors Association and the Council of Chief State School Officers, direct the initiative and actually own and copyrighted the Common Core.

Hat Tip to Utah Teacher Christel Swasey for the break down below of what Common Core is not….

It’s not “state-led. The authors of the copyrighted Common Core are private entities, not subject to open meetings, accountability to voters or other proof being state-led.  Conditions of the federal ESEA waiver and Race to the Top application show how federally-pushed the Common Core agenda was. Now Obama has announced a tax to pay for Common Core technology in a ConnectEd Initiative, and has announced that he will redesign U.S. high schools.

It’s not academically legitimate. There’s no evidence to back up claims that the standards increase college readiness as they are experimental.  The standards were written by D.C. groups who opined that classic literature should be curtailed to favor information texts. These groups felt that basic algorithms should be taught at delayed times. The unvetted ideas, unsupported by academic research, formed Common Core.

It’s not minimalistic.  Proponents call it a set of minimum standards. But a 15%  cap was placed over the copyrighted standards by the federal government, limiting Washington from adding much.  Worse, the Common Core tests, with teacher evaluations geared to them, act as the ultimate enforcement mechanism.

It’s not amendable.  The D.C.-based system defines and narrows learning yet has no amendment process.

It’s not protective of privacy. Along with asking us to adopt Common Core, the federal government pushed the State Longitudinal Database Systems (SLDS) which now exist in each state.  These give aggregate information to an Edfacts Data Exchange.  Although private information gathered by schools, found in an SLDS, is not required to be given to D.C.,  it is requested. Federal entities request that states share identifiable student information: see the Common Education Data Standards, the Data Quality Campaign, and the National Data Collection Model.

The Department of Education altered federal regulations in the Family Educational Rights Privacy Act (FERPA) reducing parental consent requirements and redefining “authorized representative,” “directory information” and “education agency” to obliterate privacy.

These pieces form a yet-unfinished puzzle that will destroy student privacy, but we are told the puzzle will not be put together.  Then why did Washington build an SLDS to federal specifications?

Parents should opt their children out of the SLDS tracking and the Common Core tests, and should find answers to important questions, such as:

  • Where is the legal authority for entities to set school standards and to monitor tests?
  • Where is a line-item, discussion of the cost of Common Core technologies, teacher trainings, and textbooks?
  • Why didn’t Common Core States follow the U.S. leader in education, Massachusetts, rather than adopting the mediocre Core?
  • How is Common Core state-led when boards who are not accountable to the public bypassed parents and 99% of all teachers and legislators, operating behind closed doors to develop and copyright the experiment?

In speaking on the dangers of the philosophy of education found in Common Core I have been intrigued by the passion behind those in Education who are pushing for Common Core. I believe that comes from a dynamic speaker and the voice behind Common Core.

Barack Obama, Sarah Brown Wessling, Arne DuncanHer name is Sarah Brown Wessling.

Here is a little background on Wessling…….

Sarah Brown Wessling is a high school English teacher in Johnston, Iowa. She is the 2010 National Teacher of the Year and is the Teacher Laureate for Teaching Channel. She also hosts “Teaching Channel Presents” on public television stations around the country.

Ms. Wessling is a wonderful speaker and makes ideas and common core come alive. She makes you feel so good about 21st Century Learning. The question is, is the Common Core philosophy a danger to your child’s education and well being. Wessling states…

“We need 21st century teachers, not just adults teaching in the 21st Century.”

“When we embrase this open model of learning the consumers of our curriculum will become the designers of their own learning experiences.”

Please take note of what she says in the video below at time stamp 4:28 about what you would see when you come into her classroom.

Texas Mom and classical educator Cathy Wells  takes a look at the Constructionist theory in education.

Child gpig“I wanted to elucidate once again for those who have missed it or are new, what the real problem with Common Core/CSCOPE is. This happens to also explain why, once CSCOPE lessons are gone, that we have to remain vigilant against programs such as icloud or anything else that is non-traditional or based on social constructivism.

Here is a link to a good explanation of social/educational constructivism:
http://improve-education.org/id55.html

Essentially, social constructivism posits that the best way to learn something is to invent it or “discover” it yourself. I concede that this is certainly a very thorough way to learn something. I’ve had to do it myself in ranching many times. However, in terms of academics, it’s a really bad idea. You’re basically suggesting that kids spend their entire school day “discovering” information. The volume of information that you can cover in a day is sharply reduced. Which, according to Common Core standards is not only acceptable but the desired result. The idea is that this “deep” learning of concepts/principles will somehow transfer itself to other learning areas.

The primary problem with this theory is that it does not work. Veteran teachers know this. Try factoring out an algebra problem without knowing your times tables by the dread ROTE that Common Core proponents despise. What typically frustrates advanced math teachers is the lack of fact memorization.

Classically and traditionally, younger years were spent in rote memorization because that is the concrete learning phase of childhood in which young children excel at just tucking away bits of information in their heads. The alphabet song, tunes on the radio, languages, etc. are most easily picked up during this stage. When the child reached the middle years, they began putting those facts to greater use, applying logic and making synergistic connections. The high school years would be spent in mastery of subjects and learning to argue a point using all the facts and logic applied theretofore.

It appears that what modern education would like to do is completely skip the young “grammar” stage of learning, skip the memorization of any facts, and head straight to the logical thought period. If we lived in the Matrix and could have programs instantly loaded into our brains, that might work great (given our brains were born at the abstract level of maturity, which they are not). Since we live in the real world…sadly, this is not an effective methodology.

Many modern educrats like to say that we traditionalists are against “thinking skills” or “critical thinking.” Absolutely false. We are for the proper ordering of such skills in the progression of educational life. We know that it actually CONFUSES children to flip-flop things around and DAMAGES their ability to have critical thinking. After all, what will they be thinking ABOUT if their heads are not full of facts but merely their own opinions and constructions?”

Knowledge is Power~ Click and share with your friends!

THE LAST DAY FOR GOV. RICK PERRY TO VETO A BILL IS SUNDAY, JUNE 16, 2013

Date posted: June 14, 2013

Veto

Photo courtesy of the Texas Tribune

Please contact Gov. Rick Perry and ask him to veto HB 2103.  His contact information is posted here:  http://governor.state.tx.us/contact/

As of today, 6.14.13, Gov. Perry has not yet vetoed HB 2103, HB 866, and HB 2836. (Please see information posted further on down the page for links to information about HB 866 and HB 2836.)

To check the list of bills on Gov. Perry’s desk, please go to:  http://www.legis.state.tx.us/Reports/Report.aspx?LegSess=83R&ID=signedbygov

To:  Gov. Rick Perry

Re:  Please veto HB 2103

From:  Donna Garner

Date:  5.31.13

http://educationviews.org/gov-perry-please-veto-hb-2103-sharing-of-private-info/

THE PROCESS: How did I decide that HB 2103 needs to be vetoed?  First, I had to figure out which version of HB 2103 had been passed as the final bill by the 83rd Legislative Session.  Next, I read the bill in its entirety, analyzed it, wrote a summary, and included my concerns, trying to capture the most troubling aspects.

Please bear in mind that I am a staff of one, have no one to verify my articles, and do what I do because I care about the children of our state and nation.  I do not work for anyone and make not one penny from what I do. Whenever I can, I try to include documentation so that readers can verify for themselves the accuracy of my articles.

HB 2103 – Sharing of personal data with entities all across the United States

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/Text.aspx?LegSess=83R&Bill=HB2103

Villarreal/Branch/Seliger —

SUMMARY STATEMENT ABOUT 2103

This bill if passed would be a field day for hackers!  Also, liberal-left professors will most likely take over the Centers for Education Research projects; and all of our personal data will be shared among various agencies in Texas and in other states. The data shared can go back 20 years.

CONCERNS ABOUT HB 2103

Basic Fact of Life:  The further that data gets away from the original source, the less people tend to protect it.

The data can include confidential information that is permitted under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (20 U.S.C. Section 1232g).

In a Washington Post article dated 3.13.13, (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2013/03/13/lawsuit-charges-ed-department-with-violating-student-privacy-rights/ ), the U. S. Dept. of Ed. Is being sued because of the changes made to the FERPA law under the Obama administration.  Now private companies and foundations under the cloak of “promoting school reform” are allowed to get access to private student (and teacher) information. No parental permission is required, and student ID’s are linked to their private information.

A database funded by Bill Gates called iBloom, Inc. has already collected personal student data from seven states and will most likely morph into the national database under the Common Core Standards Initiative.

According to the Washington Post article, tThe information already collected “holds files on millions of children identified by name, address and sometimes social security number. Learning disabilities are documented, test scores recorded, attendance noted. In some cases, the database tracks student hobbies, career goals, attitudes toward school – even homework completion.”

DETAILS OF THE BILL – HB 2103

This bill sets up cooperating agencies including the Texas Education Agency (TEA), the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB), and the Texas Workforce Commission  (TWC) that will share data.

Three centers for education research (CER’s) will be set up to conduct research using the data from the TEA, THECB, and TWC that goes back at least 20 years.

The data will be known as the P-20/Workforce Data Repository and will be operated by the Higher Education Coordinating Board.

The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board will establish three centers for education research (CER’s) to conduct studies and share education data, including college admission tests and data from the National Student Clearinghouse. The CER’s must operate for at least a 10-year period of time.

The Commissioner of the THECB will create, chair, and maintain an advisory board over the three research centers that must approve by majority vote all research studies and/or evaluations conducted.

The advisory board will meet at least quarterly and will be live streamed.

The Advisory Board will consist of:

A representative from the THECB, designated by the commissioner of higher education

A representative from the TEA, designated by the Commissioner of Education

A representative from the Texas Workforce Commission, designated by the commission

The directors of each of the three education research centers or the director’s designee

A representative from preschool, elementary, or secondary education

Research proposals can come from a qualified Texas researcher or from other states, a graduate student, a P-16 Council representative, or from a researcher who says the research will benefit Texas education (Pre-K through 16).

These research centers can be at a public junior college, public senior college or university, a public state college, or a consortium of all.

Data Collection

The data collected by these three education research centers can come from:

cooperating agencies

public or private colleges/universities

school districts

a provider of services to a school district or public or private institution of higher education

an entity approved as a part of the research project

After the three research centers are established, they must be supported by gifts and grants.

The data agreements are supposed to protect the confidentiality of all information used or stored at these centers and is subject to state and federal confidentiality laws.  However, we know there have been hundreds of hacking incidents and the free sharing of personal information by many agencies.

Basic Fact of Life:  The further that data gets away from the original source, the less people tend to protect it.

The data is not to be removed or duplicated from a research center without authorization.

State education agencies from other states can negotiate agreements for these Texas education research centers to share Texas data.

The research centers can also form agreements with local agencies or organizations that provide education services to Texas students, including relevant data about former students of Texas public schools.

HB 2103 is to take effect immediately.

6.12.13 — Alice Linahan Communication Team Conference Call – Hosted by Women on the Wall

Special Guest Merrill Hope – A mad mom who exposes the Common Core Standards and the way it is codified in education codes in California and in other states

==============

6.2.13 – “Gov. Perry, Please Veto HB 866 (the destruction of measuring stick at each grade level in Grades 3 – 8)  and HB 2836 (taking away authority over curriculum standards from elected SBOE member)”  — http://nocompromisepac.ning.com/profiles/blogs/gov-perry-please-veto-hb-866-and-hb-2836-from-donna-garner-6-2-13?xg_source=activity

==============

10.3.13 — “Adults Must Protect Our Country’s Children”  — by Donna Garner —http://educationviews.org/adults-must-protect-our-countrys-children/

==============

“Comparison of Two Types of Education – Traditional/Type #1 vs. CSCOPE/Common Core Standards/Type #2” — http://educationviews.org/2-types-of-education-philosophies-chart/

===============

Link to Texas Education Code: http://portals.tea.state.tx.us/page.aspx?id=920&bc=506

Is Common Core in Texas? You Bet it is.

 Stop Common Core Presser

Knowledge is Power and together we can make the difference!!

Alice Linahan

Follow @AliceLinahan on twitter and Facebook

Voices Empower has partnered the Freedom Trailer Teams to Educate, Inspire and Motivate.

Women On The Wall.org

Voices Empower

Check Out Voices Empower Articles .

  Please attribute to Alice Linahan  with Voices Empower

Stop CSCOPE

Ask the question…..Education- who is taking control over our children using our tax dollars?

Knowledge is Power~ Click and share with your friends!

Who is the Passion behind Common Core? Sarah Brown Wessling

Date posted: June 8, 2013

In traveling across the state speaking on the dangers of the philosophy of education found in Common Core I have been intrigued by the passion behind those in Education who are pushing for CSCOPE in Texas and Common Core in other states. I believe that comes from a dynamic speaker and the voice behind Common Core.

Barack Obama, Sarah Brown Wessling, Arne DuncanHer name is Sarah Brown Wessling.

Here is a little background on Wessling…….

Sarah Brown Wessling is a high school English teacher in Johnston, Iowa. She is the 2010 National Teacher of the Year and is the Teacher Laureate for Teaching Channel. She also hosts “Teaching Channel Presents” on public television stations around the country.

Ms. Wessling is a wonderful speaker and makes ideas and common core come alive. She makes you feel so good about 21st Century Learning. And she is a danger to your child’s education and well being. Wessling states…

“We need 21st century teachers, not just adults teaching in the 21st Century.”

“When we embrase this open model of learning the consumers of our curriculum will become the designers of their own learning experiences.”

Please take note of what she says in the video below at time stamp 4:28 about what you would see when you come into her classroom.

Now let’s break down what she is actually saying.

Texas Mom and classical educator Cathy Wells said it best recently in a post she made on Facebook. Cathy takes a look at the Constructionist theory in education.

[...]

The primary problem with this theory is that it’s just bunk. It doesn’t work. Veteran teachers know this. It seems to me that the new teachers are the ones having the wool pulled over their eyes. Try factoring out an algebra problem without knowing your times tables by the dread ROTE that Common Core proponents despise. What typically frustrates advanced math teachers is the lack of fact memorization.

[...]

I encourage you to also watch the video below and ask yourself….Is the Common Core/CSCOPE philosophy of education good for the mental health of your child? Listen and you decide.

Knowledge is power ~ In order to protect your children you must understand what they are being fed in the classroom. It is your responsibility to decide if you want your child to be a victim of the 21st Century Learning experiment or if you believe in the Classical Traditional philosophy  of education. Then it is your responsibility to take action to protect your child.

Knowledge is Power~ Click and share with your friends!

Will our Children know this? June 6th. D Day. 69 years ago today, Allied troops stormed the beaches on the Normandy

Date posted: June 6, 2013

Bachmann

Photo Courtesy of Michele Bachmann

As Author Bill Ames posted today….

June 6th. D Day. 69 years ago today, Allied troops stormed the beaches on the Normandy coast of France. But in spite of Texas social studies TEKS standards to the contrary, our public schools are not teaching about the bravery and patriotism of those men, and the sacrifices they endured to preserve our freedom.

Leftist educators will never give up their attempts to diminish our students’ respect for America. Although grassroots conservatives have dealt a blow to the offensive CSCOPE lesson plans in Texas, the same egregious, offensive material will reincarnate itself in another form. The left will never give up its agenda to portray America as an oppressive, exploitative, racist, and imperialistic country.

We must stay aware of what our local school districts are doing, not just at the school board and superintendent level, but at the classroom, teacher, and student level as well. By exposing the offending content for all to see, perhaps we can take back our public schools, one district at a time.

I had the honor of hearing Michele Bachmann tell a story of America’s greatness at the Texas Republican convention. From that moment on I have committed to fight daily to preserve the blessings of America!!

As Michele Bachmann tells this story we see that when great men with values from different theologies come together to fight for America, America wins!!

“That is the Greatness of our Nation and the Greatness of our people.” Michele Bachmann

Is Common Core in Texas? You Bet it is.
The graphic below can be used for Yard signs in your local area to Stop Common Core in Texas!

 Stop Common Core Presser

Knowledge is Power and together we can make the difference!!

Alice Linahan

Follow @AliceLinahan on twitter and Facebook

Voices Empower has partnered the Freedom Trailer Teams to Educate, Inspire and Motivate.

Women On The Wall.org

Voices Empower

Check Out Voices Empower Articles .

  Please attribute to Alice Linahan  with Voices Empower

Stop CSCOPE

Ask the question…..Education- who is taking control over our children using our tax dollars?

Knowledge is Power~ Click and share with your friends!

« Older Entries

Newer Entries »